Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:20:26 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        developer@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC

> >Sorry Poul, I think the question here is: "if we decide to remove i386 support
> >BUT a few people still want to use it and can maintain it as a separate
> >platform port, is it an option to do so, from a technical point of view?"
> >
> (This is a general answer, not just about i386 support:)
>
> Any feature in FreeBSD needs a minimum amount of maintenance.  If
> nobody cares about some particular bit of code, it will slowly of
> quickly rot away.

Sure, but my question was different. I wrote "want to use it and can
maintain". I was asking, if somebody is willing enough, is it feasible
to split it to a separate arch, and put it under that person's
maintainership? Of course, if nobody is willing to do this, then
obviously it's not worth it, I agree.

And no, I'm not volunteering ;-)

> The reason against doing so is that it complicates our code.  Makes
> it less readable.  Forces us to make tradeoffs which hits modern
> hardware on the performance meter.

Agree. But splitting it out is a one time job, I don't think it would
be that hard, and after that you can delete old code from x86 tree,
and let x386 tree live its own life...

Bye,
	Andrea

--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.