Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 17:18:29 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email [was: do I need a POP server for this?]

On 6 Jul 98, at 11:54, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 11:45:31AM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > On 5 Jul 98, at 15:12, Toby Swanson wrote:
> >

> [reformatting to 74 characters]
>
> > There is no /usr/etc directory.  What's gone wrong with the install?
> > Unfortunately, the README contains a disclaimer: "It assumes that you
> > are not only familiar with Unix but also capable fo preforming Unix
> > system administration". LOL! Clearly, I am not. <grin>
>
> Nor is any newbie, but you're asking newbies?! You really should be
> seeking help from freebsd-questions. They might ask you for more
> information, for example any error messages that occurred during the
> installation, so anticipate and tell them all you can. When someone
> answers, two things will happen: the answer will be seen and evaluated by
> hundreds of experts who are quick to correct any misinformation or
> ambiguity, and the answer will be archived so that the next person in your
> situation doesn't have to ask again. Nobody's going to look in a -newbies
> archive for an answer to a question, let alone one about setting up
> qpopper.

Right you are.  This has been fixed.  I've started directing these
questions to freebsd-questions.

As for the original problem, that's been fixed by a suggestion in a

> It'd be a good idea to fix up your line lengths first, or they might have
> a little dig at you :-) Many of us can't easily read or reply unless the
> line length is kept well under 80 characters, and easy to read mail gets
> read first.

It's all because of proportional fonts.  Now that I've stopped using them
for message composition, all of this has been cleared up.  Thanks for your
help in this.  Much appreciated.

> But I'm really curious about why this is happening. I used and supported
> Pegasus Mail for years, and always found it to be pretty standards
> compliant, cross-platform-friendly and full of features and defaults that
> made real good sense. I haven't used it for a while now, and suddenly I
> see Pegasus users coming out with huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge line
> lengths. Have they changed the default or something? I'd really like to
> know whether or not to keep recommending it (ahem... to those windoze
> users who are about to convert to FreeBSD, of course! :-). Can you fill us
> in on what's changed, and if we're real lucky, how hard it is to fix? Some
> of us need to know these things to get our email presentable for posting
> to FreeBSD lists anyway.

The solution is to set the message editor font by going: Message/Font and
selecting something like Courier or Courier New.  I *think* the problem
appeared in version 3.0 when the message composer was vastly improved.  I
think this was a side effect.  But easily fixed.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited