Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:21:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig for WLAN using WEP

     Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu> wrote:

>--On Monday, December 20, 2004 02:14:20 AM -0600 Scott Bennett
><bennett@cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>
>>      I've been asked in freebsd-newbies to move this to freebsd-questions,
>> so I'll start with my original message content after this line.
>>      I'm trying to get my FreeBSD 5.2.1 system to connect to our household
>> wireless net.  The router and the only other computer in the household are
>> using WEP, so my FreeBSD machine needs to do so as well.  Unfortunately,
>> whenever I add a WEP-related argument (e.g., wep, wepkey, wepmode) to the
>> ifconfig command, as in
>>
>> 	ifconfig fwe0 wep
>>
>> I get
>>
>> 	ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument
>>
>This was posted recently here by Daan Vreeken.
>
>You can't combine "use DHCP" and "use this SSID" in /etc/rc.conf .
>To do both, you need to create a startup script that sets the interface
>options (ssid / wep key / etc) and then just set /etc/rc.conf to use DHCP.

     I wasn't combining them.  Here's some background information:  the
only "connected" interface at the time of the ifconfig shown above is the
loopback.  The ethernet interface is "UP" but not physically connected to
anything.  The wireless interface is not "UP" and not previously configured
for anything.
     As I wrote before, the problem is that *any* WEP-related terms given
to the ifconfig command result in the error message being returned.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG