Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 98 12:05:00 PST
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Token Ring for FreeBSD yet?

Dave writes:
> Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com> writes:
> > marquard@zilker.net said:
> > :- I sure wish someone would tell IBM!  :-)  IBM (and perhaps some
> > :- others--I don't quite recall) are now talking about 100 Mb/sec
Token
> > :- Ring.
> >
> > While everyone else is *making* Gigabit Ethernets.
>
> Including IBM.
>
> I work for IBM, so I can speak to this a little.  IBM has all of these
> large corporate customers (including IBM itself) that have a big
> investment in Token Ring.  If they can keep these people happy by
> creating 100 Mb/sec. token ring on the same wiring, they'll make some
> money.  That's what's driving IBM.

IBM is of sufficient size that anything you say about it is true.  I'll
buy
that they're selling both 100 Mbit Token Ring and Ethernet.  I wouldn't
be
surprised if they're using 2400 Baud terminal connections, either.

> Anyway, if you don't like Token Ring, don't buy it.

Good point.  Can we continue with our regularly scheduled
programming please?  :-)

 -- Adam.