Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:41:40 -0500
From:      "Adam" <ajwoodbe@oakland.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Moving FreeBSD from an IDE drive to a SCSI drive?

Has anyone moved a FreeBSD 3.4 installation from an IDE hard drive to a SCSI
hard disk?  I'm installing a SCSI controller and hard disk in our current
FreeBSD 3.4 server, which is currently running on an IDE hard disk.  Since
I've never moved FreeBSD between hard disks without re-installing FreeBSD, I
figured I'd ask you guys to see if 1.) it is possible and 2.) what is the
easiest way to do it?  Is it possible to install the boot loader off of the
CD onto the new SCSI hard disk and then just copy everything onto the new
hard disk?  Or would it be better to back everything up onto tape and then
restore it to the new SCSI disk?  Please point out any pitfalls I may run
into so I can plan ahead of them.  The reason I shy away from totally
reinstalling FreeBSD onto the new SCSI hard drive is because I've put a LOT
of work into customizing, securing, and optimizing the server and I'd really
like to avoid having to do all that work over again if it can be avoided.  I
figure this process is pretty generic so I didn't include much system
information.  Let me know if you need any more info.  Thank you for the
help!

Regards,
Adam