Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:12:11 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
Cc:        Sam Stephenson <conio@home.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sample FreeBSD Images

Brian Adkins wrote:

> At 10:31 PM 3/19/99 -0500, Sam Stephenson wrote:
> >Take a look at a few of my sample images at http://thanatos.conio.net/fbsd/,
> >and write me back if you like what you see. I'd be happy to create more,
> >and/or design web pages if necessary. Thank you for your time, and I look
> >forward to hearing from you soon.
> >
> >--Sam Stephenson
>
> Nice work Sam.  It's nice to see a logo image that doesn't have the
> Berkeley daemon!  As much as I like the little guy, I don't think he has to
> be on *every* logo.

Exactly the opposite of what I thought.  I like the logos without the
daemon, but they seem lacking somehow.

Here's what we need:

1) Slogans.  Decide if we're going to stick with one, or go with the
   three tiers that have been discussed, to wit:

   a) hardware that is known to work well with FreeBSD - motherboards,
      I/O cards, hard disks, graphics adapters, whatever.

   b) native FreeBSD applications, like Netscape Navigator/Communicator
      and (soon to be) Applixware.  Also any "free" app suites that
      have been ported to FreeBSD - KDE, Gnome, etc.

   c) emulated applications that are known to work well with FreeBSD.
      We've discussed requiring these to have an installation kit for
      FreeBSD before being badged.  Examples include Wingz, WordPerfect,
      etc.

2) Logo(s) suitable for boxes.  These should be roughly 1" x 1", camera
   ready images like the "SCO OK" and "Cool it works with Linux" logos.

3) Logo(s) suitable for web pages.  These should be attractive and fast
   to load.

For simplicity sake, it would probably be best to assume a slogan for
the time being.  Your "Runs on FreeBSD" is fine for this use.  ;^)
Have at it.  Invite your artistic friends to the party.  It's not
possible to lose this contest unless nobody shows up.