Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 14:32:27 -0400
From:      Jason Lixfeld <jason+lists.freebsd-questions@lixfeld.ca>
Subject:   Problems sshing in remotely using pam_ldap

I have a system running 6.1-RELEASE, OpenLDAP 2.3.23, Pam-LDAP 1.80
and NSS-LDAP 1.249.

I have a user, called testuser configured in LDAP.

I can ssh testuser@localhost and it works no problem.

If I try to ssh into the box from another host, it fails.  What I see
in the ssh debug during the failure is:

login_get_lastlog: Cannot find account for uid 2000

This error confuses me because uid 2000 exists:

# id 2000
uid=2000(testuser) gid=2000(testuser) groups=2000(testuser)
# id testuser
uid=2000(testuser) gid=2000(testuser) groups=2000(testuser)

So I really have no idea what it could be.

I read something back from 2003 saying that something similar
happened but it was due to incompatible ssh versions, but both
localhost and the remote host are using v2, so that doesn't seem to
be the issue.

Any ideas?