Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 20:10:10 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Watch your devfs permissions in driver make_dev calls

Robert Watson wrote:

> crw-r--r--  1 root     wheel      78,   0 Dec 31  1969 pci

This one may appear harmless, but it is not.  It is trivially easy to create
an alignment fault (fatal on an alpha) with the userland pciconf tool.
We must not allow this to be used by users until the kernel part is fixed.

Eg: try this on an alpha: pciconf -r -l pci0:x:x 0x3 - ie: read a longword
at byte offset 3 in configuration space.. kaboom!

Cheers,
-Peter