Date:      18 Oct 1999 17:50:31 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bash prompt (/usr/home/username instead of ~/)

patl@phoenix.volant.org writes:

> > What happens if you put a 'cd' command right after the prompt is set?
>
> Shouldn't that be 'cd .' just in case you aren't in your home directory?

IMHO, Quite on the contrary. "cd ." would mean change into the current
directory, as opposed to "cd", which means change into home directory
by default...

In any case, I don't know what the current directory is when starting
bash. [leaves to check] Yep, putting "cd ." results in bash opening up
current directory.

--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who