Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 00:09:59 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What tipped the balance

On 27-Jul-98 Sue Blake wrote:
> Someone asked me in private mail why I chose FreeBSD instead of another
> OS, and I thought it might make an interesting topic. This is not about
> the benefits of FreeBSD versus something else, it's about what affected
> us personally when we made the decision.
>
> The main issue for me was that I wanted to learn unix, learn it right,
> and learn it once. I'm not a student or a career computer person so I
> only have the time to learn it once. FreeBSD looked to be more of a
> "real unix" and seemed to be used almost exclusively (then) by serious
> people with a lot of experience, but people I didn't know, whereas I
> knew a lot of home users and students who were using Linux for fun and
> hacking, but not professionally. One friend almost talked me into
> Coherent but sending a small amount of money overseas was a major
> hassle. Eventually I tried Linux and FreeBSD.

   lol ... Coherent 3.2.1 was the first Unix varient I had ever used, at the
time ISP prices were too much and I wanted an operating system that
I could run a BBS on and still use my computer. I used that for about
three years, once the ISP prices came down I had to switch back to
Windows to have access to the net, at this point I tried Linux, but it
left a bad taste in my mouth (for lack of a better term). I found a copy
of Coherent 4.x but the networking capibilty was a bit lacking, so I
went looking for this thing called FreeBSD ....... I read the opening
page of the web site, ran over to a friend's apt, who was in the market
for "a free unix that he could use a proxy server with his Novell network".
He didn't make it through the first web page before he started muttering
"where's their ftp site" ......

... well, a box of beer later and what we both considered an easy
install, niether of use have looked back. Although he still has to
worry about Novell, Win95, NT, and a few others, I get to sit back
every day and enjoy FreeBSD. I have been using FreeBSD for
close to two years now and I can confidently say this is the O/S
for me.

   If just one person reads this message and gives FreeBSD an
honest try I'll be happy. The support is great, the mail archives
are great, ftp sites .... etc etc .....

  The friend I had mentioned above has since moved and is still
using FreeBSD on a daily basis, mostly for personal choice but
he tries very hard to stick a FreeBSD box in network whenever
he gets the chance. For anyone thinking about giving FreeBSD
a try I just want to relay something he had said the last time I
was talking to him, out of all the networking O/S's he has used
FreeBSD has the best web/online support he's ever seen, and
I'd have to agree 100%.

  I could go on about how stable and reliable I find FreeBSD to
be but it's getting late and work comes too early in the morning.

> When the Linux users I knew started pushing hard for me to use Linux no
> matter what, and the FreeBSD users said it depends what you want to do,
> I knew that FreeBSD was chosen by those who know how to choose.

  FreeBSD is a choice that you'll always look back on and smile about.
I can't see myself using anything else on my home systems.

I just wish I could get a ball cap with the FreeBSD logo on it, that would
really put a smile on my face ;)

ltr