Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:01:54 -0500
From:      Eric Jones <ejon@colltech.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> > As far as the successor to sysinstall goes, I think it would be
> > nice to have both a console version and an X version, with some X
> > tookit such as Lesstif or Qt, or Tcl/Tk.  It could be a lot like
> > RedHat's "linuxconf", where you can use it as both an installer
> > or system administration tool.
>
> Which is about correct, though there's a volume of details behind your
> conceptualization of the system in outline form there. :-)

Hear hear!

> To really understand where we're trying to go, however, it's somewhat
> helpful to take a good look at where we are now, e.g. stuck with our
> dear friends sysinstall and the pkg_install suite.

[...]
> We also need to discuss the ways and means of creating not so much an
> installer but an installation "nucleus" around which we also have a
> general script execution and menu-generation framework which makes it
> easy for other people to write "configurators" in secure TCL which
> take on the job of configuring some utility like, say, Samba.  When
> you pkg_add samba.zip in such a system, it runs its configurator to
> generate the initial smb.conf file but also drops a copy of the
> configuration script into some special config directory under the
> Networking category.  Now the next time the user fires up the system
> configuration tool and goes to the Networking section, they see Samba
> there as a new item and clicking on it will bring up the configuration
> tool again (perhaps in the same form, perhaps not).  If Samba is
> deleted from the system, the correspnding item goes away along with
> the configuration script and I'm sure you all get the idea at this
> point.  No more monolithic prototypes!  Framework!  Frame-work!
> Frame-work! [jkh jumps up on a chair and begins waving his hands
> enthusiastically before losing his balance and toppling over with an
> abrupt scream].
>
> - Jordan

A worthy manifesto if ever I've seen one.  I have to add that I've been
pretty well amused by the discussions of pretty GUI interfaces and how
they'll attract users.  My interest lies in exactly the opposite
direction: I want to stick a floppy in and have a box find an install
server and follow a pre-defined recipe for building itself, ala
Jumpstart or Kickstart.
	If I'm a Systems Administrator rolling out dozens of web
servers or hundreds of desktops (and I frequently am), the last
thing I want to look at is a GUI, unless it helps me to build the
configuration that'll be installed across a large base.  If anything
will drive the commercialization of FreeBSD it's manageability
enhancements.
	So, when the framework, Frame-work! Frame-work! is being
considered, please keep in mind the pre-configured one disk network
install.  In the meantime, I'm off to learn what sysinstall
can do for me.  Please keep me in mind if looking for reviewers,
commentators, or (*shudder*) coders and documentors for pushing
this project forward.

Cheers,

Eric Jones
Collective Technologies