Date:      23 Jun 2002 14:27:42 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OFF] FreeBSD vs Solaris - Opinions?

At 2002-06-23T08:43:48Z, Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com> writes:

> Which, in your opinion would make a better server. Sun UltrSparc 5 /
> 333mhz running Solaris (I got a great deal on a couple of machines) or a
> generic Athlon 1.2mhz running FreeBSD. [both machines have ATA drives &
> 256meg]

As other posters have said, it really depends on what services you wish to
run.

Having said that, a given application compiled from source on each box would
most likely run faster on the FreeBSD server.  Why?  Because Solaris'
fine-grained kernel locking makes for tremendously powerful 32-way servers,
but really takes a bit out of single-CPU performance.  Also, while I have
tremendous respect for Sparc CPUs, an Athlon at four times the clock speed
will probably move quite a few more instructions per second.

To be objective, though, you'll really need to try your applications on both
systems.  Use the one that works the best after you've evaluated it in
*your* environment.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/