Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:44:09 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Evan S <kaworu@sektor7.ath.cx>
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 / SMP / SBLive

Rasmus Kaj writes:

 >  ES> Hey,
 >  ES> I have a question. Can an SB Live be used in conjunction with
 >  ES> FreeBSD?  Well, if it can, I've got this weird problem. I use
 >  ES> FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE with bp6 mobo + Dual 533mhz
 >  ES> Celerons. Compiled it all in, sndstat gives correct output for my
 >  ES> sblive. All cables are connected, volume all the way up.
 >
 > I use a SB Live on 4.1-RELEASE, and it works on that. There's been
 > some updates since the one I'm using, both before and after the 4.1.1
 > tag, so I'd expect it to work even better in 4.2 ... :-)

I have an SBLive running in 4.1.1-blah-blah, actually -STABLE.  I had
major problems getting it to output anything for the first couple of
days.  After rebuilding the kernel several times, MAKEDEV'ing endlessly,
etc., I think I finally traced my personal problems to the way that
GNOME starts esound.  After much fooling with the control center
settings, esound finally started correctly and I have fully working
sound from the SBLive.

Of course, I have only a single processor machine.

It has worked very well ever since I figured the esound thing.  I still
have problems with some Linux compatability mode stuff...

/Joe