Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:42:52 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Permission denied

Frank Seltzer wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
>
> > Looks like something's is very screwed with your installation.
> > What version of FreeBSD are you running?
>
> 2.1.5
>
> > How did you install?
>
> >From CD.
>
> > Is this the exact message?
>
> It's cut from an xterm window.
>
> > Do /usr/libexec and /usr/libexec/telnetd have the right permissions?
>
> drwxr-xr-x   5 bin     bin     1024 Aug 19 10:13 libexec/
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 bin   bin    45056 Jul 16 22:23 telnetd*
>
> > > BTW, once I get this straightened out I plan to connect my wife's Win95
> > > machine to the net. Is there a doc somewhere that will lead me through
> > > this?
> >
> > Look for /usr/ports/net/samba (resp. the package) and read through its
> > docs. Give your FreeBSD the abaility to be server for Win95/WinXX machines.
>
> > --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
> >

> Frank
> --
> Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
> draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous

I had a problem similar to this after I created a custom kernel.  I
could
ping (and do anything else on the net) if I used the GENERIC kernel,
but if I only had the ed0 driver in my config file, I would get
the same message you got.  I finally just added all the ethernet
drivers that were in GENERIC and it works fine now (I got lazy trying
to figure out which driver was the key to making it work).

I have this same problem with an Adaptec card, I had to include
all SCSI adapter drivers before the kernel would even compile.
Once again, I got lazy and didn't try to figure out which driver
was the key.

BTW, I am using 2.2-960801-SNAP so this may not help you.
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798