Date:      Sun, 04 Aug 2002 18:12:20 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bri <brian@ukip.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

> Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:17:17 -0700
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Bri wrote:
> > Hi I have a Cable and have a Cable Modem for my internet connection of which
> > you use dhcp to obtain an IP address great but this only seems to work
> > successfully on a Windows machine I've registered all the other mac
> > addresses of unix boxes and Apple macs I have and they seem to have alot of
> > difficulty obtaining IP addresses. Especially the UNIX machines which run
> > FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE or 5.0-CURRENT on sparc64 at the moment the sparc64 box
> > which is a Sun Ultra 5 which is the worst for detecting an IP with dhclient.
> >
> > What I would really like to know is what does the windows dhcp do
> > differently than say dhclient.
> >
> > I would be very interested to know as I would like a UNIX machine that can
> > maintain and IP address.
>
> Use the same exact NIC.
>
> Often, once the cable company sees a MAC address, it filters all
> other MAC addresses from getting a lease from your wire.
>
> The intent of this is to prevent people grabbing more than one
> lease simultaneously, or running more than one machine at a time.
>
> Ask Julian Elisher.  He had exactly this problem with a machine
> in San Francisco, 2 years ago.
>
> Note: If you ask, he will say "Yes, I had exactly this problem";
> he won't tell you anything you can do about it, except "Use the
> same exact NIC", because that's really the only fix.

I have found that the problem is fixed by re-starting the cable modem
when a different NIC is inserted. The problem was not with DHCP, but
with the cable modem's forwarding table.

My experience was with the old Motorola CyberSurfer modem used by
@Home in its early days. Not sure that this applies to other or newer
cable modems.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)