Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:08:40 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About to make the jump to -current...

<<On Sun, 28 Apr 1996 16:47:33 +0930 (CST), Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> said:

> A question for the wise kernel people - how did the NetBSD folks do their
> variant symlink stuff?  I was pondering the possibilities of performing
> 'magic' translations of symlink destination components based on sysctl
> variables.  Erk, here's a sample :

> Symlink /usr/include to /usr/include.$PERSONALITY$

> sysctl -w symlink.translation.PERSONALITY="current"

Better make that `fs.generic.symlink.whatever'...  Or perhaps
`kern.logical_name.table' (probably make Terry happy).  I would use
`@variable' rather than anything involving dollar signs, following the
example of AFS.

Any easy way out of this is to use amd(8).  For example, if you were
running a diskless NFS client (something I don't recommend), you might
do:

	ln -s /localvar/localvar.'${hostname}' /usr/local/var

where /localvar is defined by the map:

	/defaults:	type:=nfs;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/root;sublink:=${key}
	*		rhost:=myserver;rfs:=/export/localvar

When `amd' processes a request, it automatically translates references
to its keywords in the pathname passed to it for lookup, and only then
does it look the name up in its map.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.