Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 13:30:12 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6 [ was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge ]

On Sun, Mar 09, 1997 at 03:15:30AM -0800, David Greenman wrote:

> We'll have to wait and see, but I suspect that it will work just fine.
> The price of P6's has come down so much that I don't see any reason
> to delay.

Hmm, whats the best price for a PPro in the US ?

Here in Germany you have to pay about $625 (DM 1050.-) for a 200MHz
PPro CPU with 256k cache ($1 ~ DM 1.68)

Currently I'm unsure, what to do.
	a) Buy a SMP board now, that's currently well supported
	   by FreeBSD
	b) Wait for faster PPro chipsets, is there something in
	   the queue for PPros ? Regarding 100MHz bus clock and
	   better memory performance ?

I think I will choose the Tyan Titan Pro with one or two processors,
because our hardware manufacturer has a good contact to Tyan. If
there is something bad with the board I'd have a good chance to get
it exchanged ...

And what about Ram ? I think 60ns EDO Ram with parity is currently
best buy ... Although I like the idea to get fast SDRAM, but I fear,
that this isn't currently supported by the Natoma Chipset.

Another draw back is, that the board wouldn't support the K6 Chip.

Does somebody know a Pentium Pro Mainboard (single or dual processor)
that supports SDRAM and K6 Processors ?

Or for what would I have to wait ... ;-)

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de