Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 18:57:59 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount_mfs (Re: smbfs)

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:44:37PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> > On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 04:26:48PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > > I still don't see why an rc.conf knob specifically for /tmp isn't
> > > sufficient.  That's what people want this for.  Others can read the
> > > excellent documentation supplied in mdconfig(8), which is appropriately
> > > cross-referenced from md(4), which is the manual page for the device
> > > concerned.  Logical, orthogonal and pretty damn easy, when you look at
> > > the EXAMPLES section. :-)
>
> How about make a port of out the mount_mfs compatible program and
> committing your (Sheldon's) /tmp rc.conf patch?  Those who only need
> /tmp (and as you say, this is the majority) have what they need, we
> don't have [needless] stuff in the base system, and those who need
> something that pretends to be mount_mfs can get that from the ports.
> Does this sound good?

My vote would be to have the mount_mfs script/program in the base
system, even if it has nothing to do with mfs, as long as it do
what the old mount_mfs program did.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)