Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:37:22 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

In message <35afc126.212112276@mail.cetlink.net>, John Kelly writes:

>Argh!  So should I change both kern.timecounter.frequency and the
>machine dependent variable?  Will that work?

This is why it is so much easier just to start xntpd and be done with it.

They only time where you need to tweak any sysctl's is when the hardware
is outside the capture range (+/- 128 PPM ?) of xntpd.

After I implemented timecounters, time keeping doesn't depend on tick,
and since the adjustment is for all practical purposes continuous,
there is no benefit of tweaking the sysctls.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal