Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 22:49:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another data point in the daily panics...

According to Michael Smith:
> Mikael Karpberg stands accused of saying:
[...]
> > Then again, I know a friends 2.1.5 machine rebooted after running 30
> > seconds of "crashme".
>
> Sounds inconsistent with -stable as I know it.  I'd be worrying about
> hardware before pointing the finger at FreeBSD.

Nothing wrong with his hardware, as far as we know...

> > Firing up _40_ at boot time, just for kicks,
> > must mean he can get a lot more out of Linux's vm/fs system then we can
> > get out of FreeBSD's, when it comes to stablilty. If you want to stress
>
> Is this a troll or something?  Or are you genuinely naiive?  For all
> Terry's (valid) complaints, the FreeBSD vm/fs system brooks no
> comparison of that order.

Very possibly I'm just naiive ;-)  The thing is I'm not running -current,
(even if I read both -hackers, -current, and cvs-all) and I'm not very well
informed with how Linux progresses. I just thought I'd ask... 2.1.5-RELEASE
didn't stand the test on his P75, at least. No idea how 2.2 nehaves, but
I intend to see if I can get -current up and running on one of my machines
this weekend, at least. It's running 2.1.0 right now :(  Been too lazy to
upgrade it, since I haven't used it for much more then xterminal...

> > Anyone tried to fire up 40 crashmes and wait? Should produce nice output
> > for debugging a stressed system, no?
>
> Care to send me a copy of the aforementioned 'crashme', and I'll bore
> you with the results.  I can even swap in some marginal memory and
> repeat the process to see if I can reproduce your friend's
> observations 8)

Joe Greco already tried it, as we can see. So.... we have the results.
Seems to work very well, no? That's great. :-)

I'll be back with more stupid suggestions, when you least expect it! :-) :-)

  /Mikael