Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:36:42 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        groggy@iname.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packages

groggy@iname.com wrote:

> and am wondering why the packages never seem to
> mirror the ports collection after a new release.
>
> for example, in the 4.0-RELEASE,
> the following packages do not exist,
> even though the ports do.
>
> ircii-4.4S

no idea, perhaps it was recently upgraded. Packages don't get built
instantly, you know.

> lynx (of any kind)

They're marked FORBIDDEN due to security reasons, so you shouldn't be using
it, and a package isn't built for this exact reason.

> pgp 2.6.2 (and rsaref)

Probably to do with crypto/export laws; the port is marked "RESTRICTED".

> ghostscript-6.01

Again, I'm not sure about that one. Perhaps the same reason as ircii, I
think gs6 is fairly new.

> can some mechamism be installed so that the packages collection
> remains as complete as the ports collection?

It will be, unless a) there's a good reason otherwise (see pgp and lynx
above) or b) a new port has only just been added, in which case  you should
wait until the next package building run has finished (I'm not sure how long
this takes).

Why can't you just use the ports though?

> is it OK to use 3.4 packages with 4.0?

It should be, though you'll probably need some compatibility libraries
installed (libc version is different). The other way around almost certainly
won't work, of course.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D