Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 02:22:59 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@haywire.DIALix.COM>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How does the disk IO clustering work?

There's a mention that this was reimplemented in the "What's new in the
VM system" doc that was posted here some time ago.

What are the optimal ufs tunefs/mkfs/newfs parameters to get the best
advantage from this?

I remember reading the Sun white paper on their implementation some time
ago. They needed special "rotdelay" and "maxcontig" parameters.

Is there a difference in the layout from a 2.0R built filesystem?  Is
there anything to be gained by dumping everything to tape and rebuilding
the partitions? (assuming there's a layout difference).

The system that I'm using has a file system built like this:

jhome # tunefs -p /dev/rsd0h
tunefs: maximum contiguous block count: (-a)               1
tunefs: rotational delay between contiguous blocks: (-d)   4 ms
tunefs: maximum blocks per file in a cylinder group: (-e)  1024
tunefs: minimum percentage of free space: (-m)             10%
tunefs: optimization preference: (-o)                      time
jhome #

I dont know how it was built - but it would either have been made by
2.0R, or converted via fsck -c2 from a 1.x file system. (Julian?)

Thoughts?

-Peter