Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 02:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997 19:58:04 -0700 (PDT) Tom said:
	[stuff deleted]
>  Why is it clear that socket 7 has superior life expentency to socket 8?
>Socket 8 is better (better bandwidth) than socket 7, so why doesn't AMD
>just make socket 8 processors rather than messing around trying to sqeeze
>more out of socket 7?  I agree with Michael.  AMD/Cyrix is targetting the
>secondary market, otherwise they'd be cranking out processors to use with
>the faster socket 8.
>
>  Also, you can use socket 8 processors in a slot 1 with an adapter.
>I have no idea why AMD isn't exploiting this to put CPUs onto slot 1
>motherboards now.

The reason for AMD & Cyrix _not_ making a slot-1 is the same reason that
they don't make socket-8 cpu's, namely, patents.  Intel holds patents
on both socket-8 and slot-1.  Want to bet that they have/will have a
patent on the slot-2 architecture also?

Ah, for the days when socket formats/designs were open, set by industry
coalitions or organizations.  When manufactours designed a "closed"
socket & watched their design-in wins drop...

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting