Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 21:15:42 +0000 ()
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and the LUUG

How do,

This is almost certainly the wrong mailing list to post this to, but a
quick check through /usr/share/FAQ/mailing-list.FAQ doesn't yield
anything better so:

The London Unix User Group (LUUG), part of the UK Unix User Group
(UKUUG) hold regular meetings at various watering holes around London,
to get together and generally discuss issues pertaining to life, the
Unix, and everything.

Around about the end of October one of the planned themes is free
Unices, with particular emphasis on Intel based platforms.

Due to the fact that I know someone who knows someone, I've been asked
if I'd like to act as a representative for FreeBSD. I don't mind in the
slightest, but

a) Is there anyone in the UK (South East or generally) who feels
   particularly qualified to talk about FreeBSD, and all it's good
   points to a crowd of Unix heads. Drinks probably included.

b) Assuming that I wind up doing this, it strikes me as a good
   opportunity to help lay to rest some myths about freebie Unices,
   and FreeBSD in general (particularly, I suspect, with regard to
   the FreeBSD vs Linux debate) and also to expand upon where the
   OS is going, it's history and so on.

   So, has anyone got any particular annoying myths and
   'reported-as-fact' stories that they'd like to have debunked during
   this session? Or information in general that you think might go
   down well with this audience?

--+=[ Nik Clayton          System Administration, Blueberry Design Ltd, ]=+--
--+=[ nik@blueberry.co.uk             1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre ]=+--
--+=[ root@blueberry.co.uk         London, SW10 0XE. Tel: 0171 351 3313 ]=+--
"It's two o'clock in the morning. . . do you know where your stack pointer is?"