Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 1999 01:21:07 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        #Michael Class <michaelc@tmbbwmc.bbn.hp.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (vinum?) lockups in strategy routines?

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 07:22:58AM -0700, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, #Michael Class wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > just another datapoint. I just installed two new IBM DPTA-343740
> > discs into my System at home.  They are configured with striping in vinum.
> > Within a day I got two solid lockups with the new ata-drivers. After
> > that I switchied to the old wd-driver. Everythings works fine since then.
>
> Same here, I just compiled a new system with the old wd driver instead
> of ata and i'm happily crunching along.  Sometime between now and
> october 6th something went wrong?

I'm using one same IBM disk for our mp3 machine with new ata driver. The
machine is an old PPro 150 with 440FX chipset and PIIX3 controller, runs
19991012 snapshot. No need for special setting for harddisk and mostly
no problems, except some "disk contact lost" messages.
Heh, I just considered to upgrade the OS a bit to get rid of these "disk
contact lost" errors, but now I'm warned :)
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee