Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 01:41:19 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Same@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16 sound card

On Jul 27,  5:01pm, Doug White wrote:
> Subject: Re: SB16 sound card
>
> On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Charlie Root wrote:
>
> > To whom it may concern,
> >
> > I am trying ot set up a sound card so I can get quality CD sound with
> > mcd. I have a SoundBlaster16 WaveEffects model CT14170. I have tried the
> > drivers and non of the seem to show the sound card. It has worked
> > before, but I forgot what I did, so If you have the answer to what the
> > standard procedure is to set up this card it would be very appreciated.
>
> I assume you mean the mcd device driver.
>
> Note that your soundcard does NOTHING with regards to CD audio other than
> serve as a mixing board.  You do not need to have a driver loaded for CD
> audio to work (assuming that your sound board's CD input volume is
> umuted).
>
> If you wish to play digital audio files, then yes you need to have the
> driver configured.  For an SB16, you'll need to build a new kernel with
>
> controller pnp0
>
> then use the standard snd0/sb0 devices to set it up (consult the LINT
> configuration file).  See the Handbook if you need help on building a
> kernel.

>-- End of excerpt from Doug White

Doug,

Can you get the Real Audio rvplayer5.0 for Linux to work with the above setup?
 Mine will not work unless the above config lines are commented out and the
following is substituted for them:

device	pcm0 at isa ? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flaggs 0x15 vector pcmintr

When using a kernel built with this line in the kernel config file MIDI files
sound like schmit.  In my case it's either build the kernel with snd/sb0
devices configed and MIDI plays fine but the rvplayer won't work or build it
with the pcm0 line and rvplayer works. but MIDI sounds bad.  I haven't been
able to get this straightened out so that all works well.  Any ideas would be
much appreciated.
Frank