Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 07:12:16 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Lou Katz <lou@metron.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tar broken for large files?

At 08:14 PM 5.14.2002 -0700, Lou Katz wrote:
>I have a directory on a backup machine which contains gzipped
>epoch dumps of various file systems. I tried to tar the
>directory to a DDS3 tapedrive, and noticed that it
>finished awfully quickly. When I did a
>	tar | dd of=tapedrive
>I saw that the number of bytes/blocks written was sorely
>lacking.
>

>uname -a:
>FreeBSD shadow.metron.com 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0

....hmmmm, I reported a serious problem earlier this week for a file backup
using tar/zipped as well and it hung up the system and mangled the backup.
Still don't know what did it, but the result was similar, except the crash.
Using the same on other machines has not yet caused the same problem. BTW,
my problem occurred on a smaller backup than yours too..... maybe a
bug...???

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone