Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:19:37 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum question, bugs...

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:17:07PM -0400, "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com> wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is use the following configuration file:
>
> drive d1 device /dev/da0s1e
> drive d2 device /dev/da1s1f
> volume cvs
>   plex org concat
>     sd length 8192m drive d1
>   plex org concat
>     sd length 8192m drive d2

In the case you have two disks without any data you can't lose, just do
following to wipe them from the beginning:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda0 bs=1m count=200  #For example 200, whatever
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 bs=1m count=200

Now, if you don't have a need to share the disks with other OS's, do:

disklabel -rw da0 auto
disklabel -rw da1 auto

Now you have preliminary disklabel put on these disks, use the

disklabel -re da0
disklabel -re da1

commands to edit the label for you needs, for assistance you can check
existing disklabel on your boot disk, for example. This procedure gives
you something called "dangerously dedicated" scheme and all the
partitions are named in this case /dev/da0e /dev/da1e and so on. These
are so-called compatibility slices, contrary to /dev/da0s1e /dev/da1s1e.

Edit your disklabels so that da0e and da1e partitions have 8GB of space
and have fstype of vinum, just edit the fstype field with disklabel -re
da0(da1). Now you can try the following conf. file:

drive d1 device /dev/da0e
drive d2 device /dev/da1e
 volume cvs
   plex org concat
     sd length 0 drive d1
   plex org concat
     sd length 0 drive d2

The "length 0" gives you automatically all the space vinum can allocate on the
partition da0e(da1e), in this case 8GB each.
That's what I have done, except I have EIDE disks. Hope I haven't made
any mistakes.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee