Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      lncy@swbell.net
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: i386/4902: Please add support for Promise Ultra33 UDMA Bus Master PCI/IDE Controller

The following reply was made to PR i386/4902; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: lncy@swbell.net
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, dls@laser.caltech.edu
Cc:  Subject: Re: i386/4902: Please add support for Promise Ultra33 UDMA Bus Master PCI/IDE Controller
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:04:10 -0800

 I too have a promise controller for ultra 33 dma/33 i feel this is a
 critical issue because soon there will be no eide hd's around, brand new
 that is. and sometimes you can 1) not afford scsi 2) will want a laptop
 in the future with a bootable hd "have you seen one with scsi onboard
 and a scsi drive, i don't even think they make 2.5" scsi drives and no
 laptop i know of has scsi onboard( mac excepted )but there is no good
 bsd ports for macintosh right now( an issue in itself ) and thanks to
 win 95 public
 most future laptops will sport ultra ide hd"s. so if you want new
 hardware your choice is buy a full scsi home solution and give up on
 travel, buy a very $10,000 and up unix laptop which will come bundled
 with some unix incarnation and in that case you won't need free bsd and
 if you can afford this you won't be interested in it either.fact is you
 have one choice do all your computing at home on an expensive scsi
 system. also lastly i feel that we can win millions of converts from the
 linux camp if we can get support for ultra dma hard drives first it will
 speak volumes about the kind of support the free bsd community can
 deliver. i do understand that this may be more than a driver only issue
 (i.e a truly new kernel may have to be developed ) but it is i feel the
 future of the growth of free bsd. we must continue to allow the pnp win
 95/nt/98 crowd the ability to load and go . the main attraction of free
 bsd for me was not some great solution but the ability to do and try
 something new which didn't cost me $500.00 to do.
 this is what delivers new blood and sometimes new talent to anything.if
 this problem is not corrected free bsd might as well become _____unix
 another costly unix variant and you might as well start charging for it
 and get at least $1000.00 a chair for it too. after all if you start
 making it hardware compliant you might want to start selling boxes too
 with a proprietary interface hey the next sparc is just around the
 corner. you might be able to charge extra for the ram too. i believe you
 see my point we are drifting from open computing to closed systems in
 what seems like a very short time.not just because of scsi only
 compatability but people frequently refer to most hardware too avoid as
 that junk without jumpers well go into most stores today and all you can
 buy is that jumperless junk. help...............