Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 06:36:09 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
Cc:        John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for bsd.java.mk

On 2001.12.10 06:15 Rasputin wrote:
> * John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com> [011210 14:10]:
> >
> > On 2001.12.10 02:49 Herve Quiroz wrote:
>
> > > Also I
> > > don't understand the meaning of the JAVA_LIB variable. Is this
> really
> > > needed by any port so far ? It would be needed if using any third
> > > party
> > > compiler such as jikes but in that case the user would have
> > > (hopefully)
> > > set the JIKESPATH. Anyway I think there should be an unified way
> > > deal
> > > with JAVA_LIB/JIKESPATH etc so maybe the port being installed
> should
> > > handle this additional CLASSPATH. This way, installing any lib
> would
> > > also
> > > mean its jar would be added in the classpath automatically.
> > >

> > For me, that's the object of JAVA_LIB.  If I know the path to the
> core
> > Java libraries and the version of the JDK/JRE, I can deduce
> > ${JAVA_LIB}/classes.zip for 1.1.x and ${JAVA_LIB}/tools.jar for
> Java2.
> > Moreover, if it's Java2, I can sidestep a CLASSPATH extension by
> > sticking the new JAR file in the ext/ portion of the Java2 tree.
>
> Are you sure you want to do that kind of thing automatically?
>
> I'm thinking of a lot of RMI apps where clasees are expected to be
> loaded
> over the network automatically by JVMs - having them in your CLASSPATH
> for development is necessary, but can make testing confusing
> when you distribute them and wonder why they can't find classes..
>
> Jini in particular is a pig for this.
>
> Not that I can think of a better way or anything...

Either automatically or produce a script (for inclusion in the user's
shell) to do the same.  There are going to be issues, but the current
state of affairs leaves it entirely up to the user.  I'd rather have a
given port provided the ability to resolve this itself, if possible.

--
jmc                               ||  MacroHard --                   \
                                   ||     the perfection of form over |