Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:47:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu, bs_13943_34262@adimus.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

According to Jordan K. Hubbard:
> > And I was willing to let the matter drop, but the flame content
> > of the replies to Steve Kargl's comments seem unwarranted IMO.
> > So, let me point out to those who seem so unsympathetic (and I am
> > NOT ANY LONGER SUGGESTING THE ADDITION OF FORTRAN TO THE BASE
> > SYSTEM -- shouting done on purpose!) the basis of my suggestion
>
> FWIW, I would be more than happy to see fortran be a part of the
> base system.  Yes it's big and gnarly, but there's a lot of fortran
> still out there and most number crunching weenies don't want to take
> time out to figure out how to install the stupid thing, they just
> want to get their work done.

Hey, I resemble that remark ;-)

> My only reservation here is that most truly decent fortran compilers
> are commercial and I have to wonder at the general utility of any of
> the freebie versions.

You are correct.  Unfortunately, there is only 1 native FreeBSD
commerical Fortran compiler from NAG.  Portland Group Inc's Fortran
compiler for linux works under emulation.  These products cost
around $400USD to $500USD.  g77 is getting better.

Anyway, to close this thread, I am looking into the possibility of
building a f77 port that provides our current functionality.  I've
already found that our version of f2c is somewhat out of sync with
netlib, and I expect it will take a few days to get things squared away.

Finally, has anyone considered the implications of 64-bit processors
and how we build f2c (think EQUIVALENCE statements involving integers
and real data types).

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu