Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 16:26:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        softweyr@xmission.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: question

Wes Peters writes:
>> I got another hard drive to make freebsd more at home, got it installed,
>> got it configured to unix, got the basic config installed.  Now it will
>> not take my password.  Do I have to reinstall.
>>
>> Also what might you suggest for a quuick study on unix?  I got the Walnut
>> creek freebsd book, and the Unix Guide for Idiots (HA!).
>
> Suggestion: don't buy an Idiot's Guide unless you're an Idiot.

It's not that bad.  But the other ones you suggest are better.

> My first suggestion is always _Essential System Administration_,
> AEleen Frisch, O'Reilly and Associates: ISBN 0-937175-80-3.  Let's
> face it, now that you're running FreeBSD on your computer, you've been
> promoted to UNIX system administrator whether you wanted it or not.
> The Nemeth, Seebass, et al system administration book has been
> recommended to me by people I trust, I've never really needed anything
> beyond the O'Reilly book.

I have both, and Nemeth and Co. is the one I use.

> If you're going to be administering a TCP/IP network as well, you'll
> need _TCP/IP Network Administration_, Craig Hunt, O'Reilly and
> Associates: ISBN 0-037175-82-X.  For more detailed networking, their
> books on both _DNS and BIND_ and _NFS and NIS_ are invaluable.  The
> first will certainly get you off the ground.

If you take Wes' advice, check DNS and BIND before you buy.  It goes
into *lots* of detail, and there's already quite a good treatment of
DNS in TCP/IP Network Admin.

>> From a programming standpoint, see: _Advanced Programming in the UNIX
> Environment_, W. Richard Stevens, Addison-Wesley: ISBN 0-201-56317-7.
> Mr. Stevens also penned an excellent book on UNIX Network Programming,
> and the seminal (currently) 3-volume series _TCP/IP Illustrated_, both
> also published by Addison-Wesley.  Richard uses FreeBSD to illustrate
> advanced topics in TCP/IP development; quite a testimony to the
> reliability of the networking implementation, I'd say.  ;^)

All heartily endorsed.  Rich Stevens *used* to use BSD/OS.

Greg