Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:49:17 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_version output change?

--==_Exmh_-977391032P

Hi porters--

Mark Ovens proposed a small patch to pkg_version(1), which disambiguates
the "I can't do a version number comparison" result for ports version
number comparisons into three cases, which be roughly characterized as:

	?	What port?!?  It's not in the index.
	*	There's a bunch of versions of this thing.  Help!
	!	Aaack.  I have no idea what's going on.

I think this is generally a good thing, his patch applies cleanly to
-CURRENT, and generally things are cool.

What I'm wondering is if there's any programs that depend, in some way,
on the old behavior, which was to print a "?" result for any comparison
whose output wasn't "<", "=", or ">".  I already know about src/etc/
periodic/weekly/400.status-pkg, but it only cares about packages that
need updating, for which pkg_version returns "<".

(I want to avoid getting into a discussion of what the exact characters
should be, just the gross behavior.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-977391032P

--==_Exmh_-977391032P--