Date:      Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:14:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Committing a driver to -stable

In message: <20030718181018.D972@beagle.fokus.fraunhofer.de>
            Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de> writes:
:
: Hi all,
:
: as far as I know new stuff should be first committed to -current and, if
: it turns out stable enough, MFCed to -stable. I would like to commit a
: driver to -stable that will not be in -current. The driver is for ProSum's
: ProATM card. I have recently committed a full busdma driver to current
: (patm(4)), that I hesitate to backport to -stable because it requires ATM
: infrastructure that we don't have in stable. On the other hand there is a
: -stable driver for this card from ProSum (www.prosum.fr) that is reported
: to be very stable under -stable :-), that several people use and that I
: would like to commit. So, can I do this?

Yes.  The main reason that we try to commit to current first then to
stable is to make sure that patches don't get lost when only committed
to -stable.  since there's a different way of doing the same thing in
current, no new functionality will be instantly lost upgrading to
current.

Warner