Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: NO_FOO knobs in make.conf

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> > Seems this topic is a perennial favorite, so I'd like to establish
> > general agreement on a policy to deal with this going forward. I propose
> > the following "guidelines" for discussion:
> >
> > 1. All new knobs, in all branches, should have WORD_SEPERATORS between
> > distinct English words. This aids understanding of what the knob means
> > for English speakers, and more importantly, those for whom English is
> > not their first language. That, and actually having a standard are the
> > two main reasons I'm proposing this version.
>
> Does this rule apply to non-English words like SEPERATORS (sic)

Ooooo....  gettin' nasty with the spelling barbs, eh? Don't get me
started. :)

> in the above, BSD in FreeBSD, DES in DES, des in des, RELENG in
> RELENG_*, etc.? :->

Hey, one thing at a time.

> I won't complain much about the names of new variables, but
> changing the names of old variables and adding compatibility cruft
> to support 2 sets of names are wastes of time.

I disagree... I think if we're going to rev the interface, we ought to
do a clean sweep. Part of the reason that this topic comes up again and
again is that we're massively inconistent atm.

> When you change this, don't forget to enforce the change on OtherBSD for
> compatibility.

Heh.... just one small step in my plan for total DougBSD domination.

>  NetBSD uses:

As commented on in the mail I just sent, I like this concept a lot,
thanks for bringing it up.

> Perhaps the real point here is that the mostly-implementation-detail names
> for the build system leaked out to user-visible names.

*nod nod*  I really like the idea of having two distinct name spaces.

Doug