Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:57:01 -0700
From:      John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, john derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>
Subject:   installing XWindows

Hi.

Just wondering if someone can offer coherent instructions on how to
install XWindows in the following situation:

     1. From a cd-rom--specifically, Walnut Creek's fbsd2.2.6 four disc
set.
     2. Onto a dualboot pentium, sharing with win95.

I've done a fair bit of reading actually, but no two sources seem to say
the same thing. It's disconcerting.
Incidentally, where I've looked so far is:

     1. A doc on the Walnut Creek cd: "Building and Installing the X
Window System" by S. Gildea
     2. The readme provided via the /stand/sysinstall utility.
     3. XFree86.org's "README for XFree86 on FreeBSD"
     4. XFree86.org's "Quick-Start Guide to XFree86 Setup"

So far, what I've done is go into the post-install configuration screen,
selected the
"Distributions" item, then selected the "XFree86 3.3.2 Distribution,
then selected
the following:

under Basic: bin, cfg, doc, html, lib, man, set
under Server: SVGA, S3V
under Fonts: fnts

Then I backed out to the FreeBSD Configuration Menu where I selected
some Packages.

Finally, I went into the "XFree86" screen, where I selected "XF86
Setup". Then
I got a message about which mouse protocols to use, selected "OK," and
finally,
there was a screen with the message "Press enter to switch to graphics
mode..."
I hit enter and waited. After about a minute, I was simply returned to
the previous
menu. That's as far as I got.

Thanks,
John Derk <johnderk@infoserve.net>