Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 06:56:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu
To:        Michael Reilly <michaelr@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: IBM TP 600

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:53:36 -0400
From: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu>

Michael Reilly <michaelr@cisco.com> says:
: Does anyone have instructions for installing 2.2.8 or 3.1 on an IBM
: ThinkPad 600?  FreeBSD seems to have problems with the unique memory
: structure of this machine and so freezes during or shortly after boot.
: Usually there are three - four beeps before the freeze.
:
: My machine has 128MB of memory.

Ahhh.  On all the 600 & 600E's I've installed on, I found that memory
above 64M wasn't probed correctly.

So, I removed all the memory above 64M and then installed and built a
custom kernel with MAXMEM=(1024 * actual memory on the machine -1M).

Where'd I pull that number from?  Well, I noticed that when the machine
boots up, that's how much memory the memory check shows.  Though, what
the guy at BSDI says makes perfect sense.

Personally, I'm not sure why, but it works.

       --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8