Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:55:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running lyris for linux makes many zombies

CS> In message <14774.30930.120103.685216@onceler.kciLink.com>, Vivek Khera
CS> writes:
>> Anyhow, I'm getting *lots* of zombie processes being left around after
>> processing a few messages, and the number keeps growing.  This did not
>> happen on the "real" linux system.

CS> Lyris is failing to issue a wait(2) call to obtain the exit status of
CS> children that have terminated.  The kernel will keep a a process table
CS> entry for the terminated child until the exit status has been fetched
CS> by its parent.

Lyris seems to run using linux threads, not forked processes.  Is it
still necessary to wait() on threads?  I did a ktrace on lyris, but
see no evidence of any calls to fork(2) or wait(2).  What would I look
for to see evidence that it is indeed using threads as I've been led
to believe?

The lyris 4.0 betas exhibited the zombie problem on linux itself, as
well, but the 4.0 release does not.

Any clues as to how to track down what really is failing in lyris so I
can get them to fix it properly, rather than just making conjectures
on what might be wrong with it?