Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:36:46 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Howard" <elh@outreachnetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: random crashes on 4.4-S - ASUS CUSL2-M mobo

At a certain time, now past, mikea spake thusly:

--------8<--snip--------

> > I've moved everything off the server so I've got a little playing room/time.
> >
> > I did catch this just before the box died earlier:
> >
> > vm_page_remove: page not found in hash
>
> It's about one chance in 10^googolplex of _not_ being a hardware
> problem. Do you have a different mobo that you can slide under
> the CPU(s), RAM, cards, etc.? Can you put the box out on a table
> and to a fingertip temperature check of things during operations?
> Have you tried dis- and re-connecting/inserting _EVERYTHING_, on
> the premise that it might be an intermittent connection triggered
> by vibration? Can you swap in a new power supply? Got any cooling
> spray? If yes (a can of compressed air for cleaning things will
> work), try cooling down specific components, one at a time. Do the
> same thing with a heat gun or hair dryer. Tap the board gently to
> try to isolate bad solder joints.
>
> At this point, it's grab-at-straws time.
>
> And, of course, the serial console idea is a good one.
>
> Keep us posted.

OK...after much tapping, shaking, stirring and straw grabbing, I wasn't able
nail down the issue directly.  The only other mobo was put at work in
another server and no 1U power supplies at hand.

At that point, I was told I didn't have anymore time to play w/ the unit.  I
RMA'd it and they ended up replacing mobo, RAM and power supply.

Been up for days (that's a big achievement for this box) now w/o a single
hiccup.

Thanks to everyone for your time and suggestions.

       ~elh
--
Eric L. Howard           e l h @ o u t r e a c h n e t w o r k s . c o m