Date:      Mon, 13 May 2013 23:50:39 +0200
From:      olli hauer <ohauer@gmx.de>
To:        operation <operation@a2network.net>
Cc:        perl <perl@freebsd.org>, Yutaka Itoh <y.itoh@a2network.jp>
Subject:   Re: perl (5.8.9 to 5.8.14) portupgrade error

On 2013-05-13 20:14, operation wrote:
> Yes, I deleted
>> Er, WITH_PKGNG you mean?
> But same error.
>
> Build Perl for SOCKS? [n]
> Use the PerlIO abstraction layer? [y]
> Getting the current patchlevel...
> Build a threading Perl? [n]
> Build Perl for multiplicity? [n]
> Use which C compiler? [cc]
> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__pselect@FBSDprivate_1.0'
> Uh-oh, the C compiler 'cc' doesn't seem to be working.
> You seem to have a working gcc, though.
> Would you like to use it? [y]
> /usr/lib/libpthread.so: undefined reference to `__pselect@FBSDprivate_1.0'
> You need to find a working C compiler.
> Either (purchase and) install the C compiler supplied by your OS vendor,
> or for a free C compiler try http://gcc.gnu.org/
> I cannot continue any further, aborting.
> ===>  Script "Configure" failed unexpectedly.
> Please report the problem to perl@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
> "/usr/ports/lang/perl5.14/work/perl-5.14.2/config.log" including the output
> of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to provide
> an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. a /usr/sbin/pkg_info
> -Ea).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.14.
> *** Error code 1

I don't know what's broken on your system and your logs are looking strange to me.

>From your first request:
> Operating system name? [freebsd]
> Operating system version? [8.3-release-p3]

So I assume this is a 8.3 system where pkgng should build
(I'm running at the moment only 8.3 systems (as VM) in production with pkgng)

>From one of your follow-ups:
> root@ylog1:/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg# make package
> ===>  pkg-1.0.12 not supported on 7.x or early 8.0.

If this is a 8.3 system there should be no issue building pkgng and dialog4ports.

Except dialog4ports and pkgng perl5.14 sould build even on the last 7.4 version
(I've just done a cross build with all default options in a tinderbox).

So can you give us some more details about your system?
- OS version / arch / patch level
- age of your (clean?) portstree
- does /usr/src match the OS version

PS:
In case this is a 7.4 system be aware that even perl5.14 is building other
checks and patches for 7.x are already removed from the portstree.

As a quick workaround for a 8.3 system try building perl5.14 in a clean jail or VM.

--
Regards,
olli