Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 02:27:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        shiozaki@ased.mt.nec.co.jp (Takuya SHIOZAKI)
Cc:        devel@XFree86.Org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anybody from the XFree86 team here ?

> From: "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
> Subject: Re: anybody from the XFree86 team here ?
> Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:32:48 -0400
>
> > > I still think that the matter is fairly important
> > > for X11 i18n, so this is my next try :-)
>
> It is important that we design and implement better I18N facility
> for not only X11 but also any Free-Unix.
> Locale implementation on the Free-Unix is poorer than
> Commercial-Unix's one (for instance, the locale implementation on
> Solaris-2.{5,6} is very good).  That is fatal to make also I18Nized X11
> application,  since it seems that X11 and XFree86 prefer to use
> OS locale basically, instead of X11 own locale facility.
>
> Also, that matter often makes us confuse.  For example, FreeBSD users
> in Japan can remember such confusion by seperated libxpg4 from libc.
> And Linux users in Japan can remember such confusion by changing
> the standard C library from libc5 to libc6 on some distributions, too.
>
> Now Free-Unix locale implementation is not enough to make and use
> I18N-ized applications.  It is the serious probrem for us.

Please look for the "xwchar" package from the X11R5 contrib, and
the patches from Omron, Inc., for Japanese and Chinese support.  If
you are having a hard time working Altavista, the patches to the base
wchar code can be obtained from:

	http://ftp.umu.se/pub/unix/src/X11R5_ftp/contrib-fixes/Xwchar/

Patched, this is a full-on wchar function implementation.

In addition, in -current (version 3.x), see the printf(3) support
for internationalization:

  o   An optional field, consisting of a decimal digit string followed by a
      $, specifying the next argument to access .  If this field is not
      provided, the argument following the last argument accessed will be
      used.  Arguments are numbered starting at 1. If unaccessed arguments
      in the format string are interspersed with ones that are accessed the
      results will be indeterminate.

This allows reordering of arguments in locale-specific strings (to be
obtained from a message catalog).  If you don't understand XPG/4
message cataolog maintenance, and/or string localization using
string stripping, English strings as keys, and 32 bit hash indices
into the catalogs using CCITT CRC32, well, there *are* people who
know how this work, and are willing to answer questions.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.