Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:55:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [re]writable cdrom drive

Amancio Hasty wrote...
> > There is a generic SCSI bus enumerator API, and one for PCI as well.  There
> > isn't a generic API to get trees of devices of any type in the system,
> > though.  With new-bus that might be possible, but having done two
> > enumerator APIs already (I wrote the CAM and PCI enumerator code), I can
> > predict that it might be very complicated to do properly.  (Things get
> > really hairy when you have to keep the device tree from changing while
> > you're traversing it.)
> >
> > In any case, for the two applications you specified, cdrecord is only
> > interested in SCSI devices, and there is already an API -- that cdrecord
> > already supports -- to do bus/device enumeration.  The cdrecord -scanbus
> > code already uses that API.
> >
> > Similarly, there is already a PCI device listing interface, so fxtv should
> > be able to easily pull out the devices it is interested in.  All it has to
> > do is search for all "meteor" or "bktr" devices to find what it wants.
> >
> > Ken
>
> Now how can I map a device name from this bus enumeration  so that I can issue
> an "open" to the device:
>
> pciconf -l
> chip0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x12378086 rev=0x02
> hdr=0x00
> isab0@pci0:1:0: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70008086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
> ide_pci0@pci0:1:1:      class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70108086
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> chip1@pci0:1:2: class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x70208086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
> de0@pci0:9:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x11001385 chip=0x00091011 rev=0x22
> hdr=0x00
> bktr0@pci0:10:0:        class=0x040000 card=0x13eb0070 chip=0x036e109e
> rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
> none0@pci0:10:1:        class=0x048000 card=0x13eb0070 chip=0x0878109e
> rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
> ahc0@pci0:11:0: class=0x010000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x81789004 rev=0x00
> hdr=0x00
> ahc1@pci0:12:0: class=0x010000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71789004 rev=0x03
> hdr=0x00
> vga-pci0@pci0:13:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x0519102b
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00

Only one of the above devices actually has a character device interface in
/dev.  All you have to do is something like this:

sprintf(foo, "/dev/%s%d", p->pd_name, p->pd_unit);

The only way it would become complicated is if the device name in the
kernel were different than the device name in /dev.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org