Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:16:22 +0100
From:      Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk>
To:        "David Lawson" <dlawson@gsc.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail: operation timed out

Thanks for the reply. .. the machine is question is on the internal, nat
side of a dsl router, along with an existing FBSD4.3, sendmail 8.9.3,
server, which works fine...  I can connect out myself via telnet and send
mail with no problem.  There's an internal DNS server that knows about all
the machines, so is no internal DNS issues.  Externally presented IP
resolves, and is the same for both servers.

Sending outgoing messages time out instantly .. the connect messages appear
in sequence together:  eg, with a message to myself queued up:

rmsfour# sendmail -bH
rmsfour# sendmail -v -q

Running /var/spool/mqueue/g5HApDv00230 (sequence 1 of 2)
robert@aphnet.co.uk... Connecting to mailgate.aphnet.co.uk. via esmtp...
robert@aphnet.co.uk... Connecting to relay-2.mail.demon.net. via esmtp...
robert@aphnet.co.uk... Connecting to relay-1.mail.demon.net. via esmtp...
robert@aphnet.co.uk... Deferred: Operation timed out with
relay-1.mail.demon.net
.

Running /var/spool/mqueue/g5HAak708898 (sequence 2 of 2)
robert@aphnet.co.uk... Deferred: Operation timed out with
relay-1.mail.demon.net
.
rmsfour#

I'm at a loss ... I thought it'd be quicker to just install a new machine,
and check it worked, rather than upgrade the existing one.  Oh well .. at
least I'm not fighting this one against 50 users saying "can we use it yet"
:-)

Rob,

At 10:57 17/06/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I've had this same problem but on a machine without a legitimate domain
>name.  Some upstream mail servers are ok that they cannot lookup your name
>and some just refuse to talk to you even if the 'To:' address is legitimate.
>If this is your problem, I'm not sure what can be done other than get your
>ISP to map a name to the address.
>
>    Dave

APH Computers Ltd.
Tel: 0161-442 2603