Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 13:48:05 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

In a message dated 6/24/01 12:33:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
karsten@rohrbach.de writes:

> > A 3.x driver *could* be ported forward to 4.x and 5.x, but the
>  > required changes are not trivial (newbus, SMPng...) and you'd still
>  > need sample boards for testing and debugging, and docs for reference
>  > when you don't understand what the existing driver is trying to do.

I'd suggest doing a study on the benefits as well. With 1+Ghz processors, the
advantages of doing this in hardware become less than in the old days. We did
a study on compression hardware, and at 400Mhz is was faster to do it in
software than with external hardware. The setup, write to hardware, read from
hardware cycles were more than the software processing requirements.

Bryan