Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2000 16:31:37 -0700
From:      Devin Butterfield <dbutter@db.wireless.net>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        kmays <kmays@email.msn.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v4.1R on laptops

"Jacques A. Vidrine" wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 04:46:41PM -0700, Devin Butterfield wrote:
> > I have 4.1-STABLE running fine on my Sony Z505SX. X works fine at
> > 1024x768, and sound works with only a small hack. APM also works great.
>
> What's the hack?
>
> (I also run 4.1-STABLE on Sony Z505SX: sound ``just works'')

Hmmm...perhaps there was a fix recently (I have not made world for
several weeks). Nevertheless the fix/hack was to uncomment
chn_dmaupdate() from /sys/dev/sound/pcm/channel.c. Here is a snip from
the original un-modded code:

[...] at line 231
		b->rp = chn_getptr(c);
		b->fp = (b->rp + b->bufsize / 4) % b->bufsize;
		b->rl = b->bufsize / 4;
		b->fl = b->bufsize - b->rl;
	  	b->underflow = 0;
	} else {
		/* chn_dmaupdate(c); */
	}
}

With this line commented (as I and a number of other people reported in
a thread on this list) attempting to play a sound file would cause the
channel to lock up saying something like "pcm0: play interrupt timeout"
and then only a reboot would unlock it.
--
Regards, Devin.