Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:14:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Jesper Wallin <jesper@hackunite.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Information disclosure?

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Jesper Wallin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For some reason, I thought little about the "clear" command today.. Let's say
> a privileged user (root) logs on, edit a sensitive file (e.g, a file
> containing a password, running vipw, etc) .. then runs clear and logout. Then
> anyone can press the scroll-lock command, scroll back up and read the
> sensitive information.. Isn't "clear" ment to clear the backbuffer instead of
> printing a full screen of returns? If it does, I'm not sure how that would
> effect a user running "clear" on a pty (telnet, sshd, screen, etc) ..
>

> Best regards,
> Jesper Wallin

I've often wondered the same thing when connected in via a ssh session.
If there was a way to implement this functionality without uglifying the
code too much, I don't see why anyone would object to it.

But I don't think you're going to get someone else to code it for you. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack