Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:47:15 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Starting the wpa_supplicant Daemon from rc.conf

"Teske, Devin" wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Martin McCormick wrote:
> > We are using 802.1x on our wired network and the wpa_supplicant
> > on this system works like it should to authenticate with the
> > network if manually called as in
> >
> > sudo ./etc/testwpa which is the name I gave the script that
> > calls wpa_supplicant and gives it the configuration file and
> > interface information to authenticate.
> >
> > 	The only thing that is not yet working is getting
> > wpa_supplicant to authenticate automatically upon reboot or
> > startup. I presently have the following in /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > #wpa_supplicant
> > wpa_supplicant_enable="YES"
> > wpa_supplicant_program="/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant"
> > #executable
> > wpa_supplicant_flags="-B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D wired -i le0"
> >

> What you actually want is:
>
> ifconfig_le0="<normal stuff> WPA"
> # Don't worry, the WPA will be stripped out when talking to ifconfig(8)
> # NB: WPA can appear anywhere in the ifconfig_* value

Martin,
I notice my rc.conf also has
	ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
Sorry I didnt mention it earlier, I didn't notice it, & my WLAN config is
a mess, a work in progress, (pending a new test net).

I also noticed that le0 looks wrong for a 2nd reason:
man le says your le is an ethernet device,
my rc.conf has these snippets
        wlans_urtwn0="wlan0"
        wlans_run0="wlan0"
# man urtwn & man run : ... wireless nets
	ifconfig_wlan0="DHCP"
	ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
	wlandebug_wlan0="scan+auth+assoc"       # /etc/defaults/rc.conf
Though may be misleading, as said, work in progress.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".