Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:52:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD MAIL <freebsd@mauibuilt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 using dd and cdroms

Don't post to multiple lists; it's rude.  I'll reply to both so others
on -hackers won't think noone replied and reply, too.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, FreeBSD MAIL wrote:

> I have tried using dd on serveral 4.0 systems in order to capture an image off a cdrom.
>
> I tried dd if=/dev/acd0a of=file.img as well as on a scsi system (/dev/cd0a) and
> eovery other cd device (/dev/acd0c /cdv/racd0c /dev/cd0c ect) and I get
>
> dd: /dev/acd0a Bad address
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out

Mode 1 CD-ROM DATA is 2352 bytes of data and ECC per block.  The actual
data returned from the drive is 2048 bytes, so each block is effectively
2048 bytes.  Use ibs=2k or a multiple thereof.  I've made a utility that
does a nice job for CD duplication needs (the reading half), which you
can find at:

	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~green/read_cd.tar.gz
	MD5 (read_cd.tar.gz) = 7881ea5ef1428ced7533b1cb2a3afbb1

> Thanks for any reply

HTH