Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 14:20:40 -0800
From:      Nick <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACPI and Sony laptop

I took the plunge. My Z505JE now runs -current.

A couple of things I have observed: rebooting with other than
ctrl-alt-del doesn't result in rc.shutdown being run, which means I have
to whomp on the keyboard at the next reboot. Am I doing something wrong
that 'shutdown' and 'reboot' don't run rc.shutdown?

Also, if I compile device acpica into the kernel, it hangs probing and
attaching ACPI stuff. In particular, it gets a little further if I put
an ENXIO at the start of acpi_tz's attach routine, but after doing that
a couple times in acpi_*_attach() I gave up. I don't see a lot in the
recent archives of -current, so either everyone but me is running with
ACPI happily or everyone knows to keep away. I'm not sure which. :-)

Those paying attention on -hackers know I've offered a prize for a
jogdial driver. I've gotten some stuff off the web and am hoping to take
a crack at a spic driver (Sony Programmable I/O Controller), but I think
I need working ACPI first.