Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 17:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Vincent Poy wrote:
> >
> >         Heh, must be one of those $4000 Fluke testers or something.  I
> > mean cables should be tested prior to installing but you don't actually
> > know the characteristics while the cable is in real use is what I'm
> > saying. :-)
>
> It is - with it's remote end as well... Extreemly expensive, but very
> 'cool'... And very precise :)

	It better for that kind of price =)

> You can't easily test the cable prior to installing - it normally comes in
> 300ft boxes! - But you can (and should) test it after it's been installed, and
> after you've followed the CAT-5 guidelines re. corners, luminaire avoidance
> etc :)

	I meant real use as i.e. all the workstations are connected and
the cable is transfering data.  Not just during the time period of
installing but throughout the use of the cables life.

> > > Typically around 2Gb's... I do a lot of DVR work, so I always have large files
> > > kicking around :-)
> >
> >         I could use one of those... =)
>
> A 2gb file? - You could always FTP it from here? <g>

	Hehe, wonder how long that will take <g>

> >         Heh.  Wouldn't it be nice if Delphi was available for FreeBSD or
> > binary compable with something FreeBSD emulates? :-)
>
> Yes, it would!... We (as in Unix) have the free Pascal compiler, which
> supports most (if not all) of the Sysutils unit, but it's a long way from
> being able to run on the bosses Windows desktop :-)

	Hehe, maybe some convincing would work :-)

> Not that the boss is best friends with Windows at the moment (it crashes his
> machine about twice a day, and that's even under NT :-)

	Haha, I'm sure he's a frequent audience of the Blue Screen of
Death too :-)

> >> This is getting off-topic for -hackers - if you want to chat we should either
> >> move it somewhere more appropriate - or personal replies only :-)
> >         That's a good idea... That's why it's been moved to -chat in this
> > reply =)
>
> So I noticed... :-) Chat doesn't get used very often (not often enough some
> might say from some of the threads in -hackers/-current recently...) I often
> forget I'm subscribed at all :)

	Me too but I guess it's good to put good use of it... :)

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]